Willie’s Distillery Job Opening
Job Posting Date: 6/6/18
Position: Production Assistant
Pay: Depends on qualifications/experience
Position Status: 35 – 40 hours weekly
Willie’s Distillery is a fast growing, small batch distillery located on Main Street in Ennis, Montana. Our mission is to make World Class Spirits for World Class Individuals. We use fresh mountain water straight from the source, and find our grains and ingredients from small Montana farms and growers ranging from a local apiary to the barley fields of the Montana Highline.
Willie’s product lineup includes Montana Moonshine, Montana Honey Moonshine, Big Horn Bourbon, Snowcrest Vodka, Willie’s Canadian Whisky, Coffee Cream Liqueur, Huckleberry Sweet Cream Liqueur and Chokecherry Liquors. We also have a variety of small batch spirits available throughout the year.
At the direction of the Production Manager, complete the activities and processes involved in the production of distillate and distillate by-products in the Willie’s Distillery, Inc. facility. Position assists to monitor and document batch process operations in the mashing and fermenting of raw materials for the distillation of spirits. The production assistant will also be involved in bottling, cleaning, warehousing, inventory management and record keeping. Candidate should be motivated and teachable with a strong work ethic. Must be reliable and able to work flexible hours including weekends, holidays and evenings as required.
Essential Duties, Responsibilities, and Expectations:
• Grinding and weighing grains, following a recipe
• Understanding basic scientific principles of extracting sugars from grain
• Taking readings off scientific instruments and pumping mash into fermenters at set temperatures
• Use tri-clamps, hoses and mechanical pumps
• Reading and monitoring hydrometers and pressure/temperature gauges
• Determining if the still is running efficiently and cleanly
• Understanding basic algebra and the meaning behind ABV and Proof
• Taking our distilled spirits to the desired percent alcohol by the addition of water using a hydrometer measurement or by steam distillation via a ‘lab still’ for products with a high concentration of dissolved solids
• Setting up, tearing down and cleaning the bottling line
• Labeling, cleaning and filling bottles and stacking cases on pallets
• Sampling and dumping into preselected barrels for blending into the final product
• Filtering and proofing, running and setting up pumps
• Mix, color and pH balancing cream liquors
• Lifting and moving empty and full barrels either by hand, with a forklift, pallet jack or hand truck
• Dumping, filling, swelling barrels and adjusting hoops on barrels and measuring items to be blended
• Cleaning entire production area, including washing mash tun, still, fermenters, floors, drains, etc. on a weekly basis
• Perform any additional duties as required or requested by the Production Manager
• Experience in the distillation process or related industry is a plus, but not necessary (home brewing experience will be considered)
• Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and record keeping
• Strong mechanical ability with problem solving/troubleshooting skills
• Ability to follow directions, work independently and be a team player supporting business operations
• Ability to lift up to 75 pounds
• Valid driver’s license with clean and insurable driving record is required
• Ability to pass Safe Serve Certification for the State of Montana
• Successful completion of background verification and checks, if needed
• Forklift certification or ability to pass a forklift certification course
• Ability to pass random drug and controlled substance screening without notice of such screening, as deemed necessary by Willie’s Distillery, Inc. or other governing agencies
• Must be 21 years or older
To Apply: Submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, by mail or in person.
Position Closing Date: When suitable candidate is found.
PO Box 1418
312 E. Main Street
Ennis, MT 59729
By checking below, you verify you are at least 21 years old.